Roozbeh commenced his PhD at the department of infrastructure of the University of Melbourne in July 2014 and currently he is working in the Centre for Disaster Management and Public Safety (CDMPS). Roozbeh’s research will focus on quantifying the flood risks and performing a flood damage assessment for a case study area within Australia. With this knowledge, mitigation of the risks could occur for the future flood scenarios. Should a flood actually happen, initial response could be based on the estimations of the consequences, which can be updated in real time if the information was available. The outcome of this research will be important for disaster management decision-makers and insurance companies as it will provide them with a tool for assisting the development and implementation of an appropriate policy for flood risk mitigation. This work will contribute to the current Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC (BNHCRC) project “Pre-disaster multi-hazard damage and economic loss estimation model” which aims to identify optimum economic policy options to recover or minimise the adverse effects of natural hazards.
Roozbeh obtained his Master of Science from Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy in Civil Engineering for Risk Mitigation (CERM) program. His rank and the position in cohort was first and he finished his master by GPA 110 out of 110. The title of his Master thesis was “Flood Damage Assessment with the Help of HEC-FIA Model”.
In addition, he has accomplished successfully “the APRU Multi-Hazards program towards the implementation of the Sendai framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)”, in Tohoku University, Sendai/Japan and “the 5th International BBK Summer Academy” in the Academy of Crisis Management, Emergency Planning and Civil Protection (AKNZ) of Germany.
Also, having fulfilled the Bachelor’s program and before commencing his Master, he was working as a senior civil and structural engineer in cement, oil and gas EPC projects for more than seven years and in 2009, he was appointed as the lead engineer of civil and structural department in Pardis petrochemical project in Assaluyeh-Iran.
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering for Risk Mitigation from Politecnico di Milano University, Milan, Italy
- Bachelor in Civil Engineering-Hydraulic Structures from Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
- Hasanzadeh Nafari, R., Ngo, T., and Lehman, W.: “Calibration and validation of FLFArs – a new flood loss function for Australian residential structures”, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 16, 15-27, doi:10.5194/nhess-16-15-2016, 2016.
- Hasanzadeh Nafari, R., Ngo, T., and Lehman, W.: “Results comparison and model validation for flood loss functions in Australian geographical conditions”, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 3, 3823–3860, doi: 10.5194/nhessd-3-3823-2015.
- Hasanzadeh Nafari, R.: “Flood damage assessment with the help of HEC-FIA model”, Master of Science Thesis, Politecnico di Milano University, December,2013.